Bankruptcy And Taxes

Do you have tax problems? Do you income taxes from past years? Call the Hedtke Law Firm, to help you resolve matters with the IRS and the California Franchise Tax Board and get back on track through bankruptcy filing. Call the Hedtke Law Firm at 909 736-3111 to schedule a free consultation.

Bankruptcy May Discharge Tax Liabilities

Generally, tax liabilities are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. However, there are exceptions that allow the discharge of tax debts. When you visit our office to discuss your tax debts, we will look at the extent of your debt and advise you on clearing up any tax issues. Once we consult with you, we can determine whether your tax debt can be included in a Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy filing.

In general, the discharge of taxes requires the following conditions to be met:

  • Unpaid taxes in question must be related to a tax return that is at least three years old.
  • The tax debt in question is related to a return that was actually filed at least two years ago.
  • The tax debt in question cannot be part of a fraudulent tax return.
  • The IRS must have assessed your tax debt at least 240 days prior to filing.

Reducing Tax Penalties

Unpaid taxes can lead to heavy penalties by the IRS. These penalties may comprise a significant portion of your owed amount. At Hedtke Law Firm, we can work with you to find a way to reduce or eliminate, any penalties associated with unfiled or unpaid taxes.

When you are confronted by financial difficulties, ignoring a problem may seem to be the easiest answer. Some may choose not to file tax returns because of a fear of not being able to pay the amount owed. Hedtke Law Firm finds solutions for these financial problems and helps clients start dealing with them. For some people, tax debt may be dischargeable through bankruptcy and for others negotiating a deal may be more appropriate.

Call the Hedtke Law Firm today to schedule a free consultation about bankruptcy and tax debt. Call us at 909 736-3111.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top